Welcome to our webpage for The town of Athens, Maine our town has been around for well over two hundred years and like many Maine towns gone through ups and downs, we think we are on an upswing and hope to continue to grow and prosper and keep all those interested in our little town and the surrounding area informed through this site.

Athens was settled by Revolutionary War soldiers; our town is in Somerset County and was incorporated on March 7, 1804. In 1821 it annexed land from Hartland, and later from Brighton in 1838 and 1862.
The main village in the town is north of Skowhegan following Route 150 to the junction with state routes 43 and 151. It is located at the fork of the East and West branches of Wesserunsett Stream, which joins the Kennebec River just below Skowhegan. The 110 year old Grange Hall is in the middle of the village.

Somerset Academy is a fine example of mid-19th century Greek Revival academic architecture designed by a noted architect of the period. It also reflects the strong emphasis placed on high quality education even in rural Maine during this period. The Academy was built in 1846, the money for it being raised by subscription. John Ware gave $200 and a half acre of land. The architect was Joseph Bigelow of Skowhegan who designed the handsome Abner Coburn Mansion in Skowhegan. *(from Maine an Encyclopedia)

Athens Community School located at 8 Fox Hill Road lies in the middle of our Town and really is the heart of our community we invite you to visit the schools webpage.

Town of Athens

Athens Volunteer Fire Department, located at 28 Main Street is made up of local residents from Athens and surrounding towns.

The building was built in the 1960s and houses our 1990 6×6 Forestry Truck, a 1987 GMC Pumper Truck, a 1990 pierce Tanker Truck and all our associated gear.

Somerset Academy served as an area school for higher education until 1967 and was used again in the 1980s when the Elementary school was being reconstructed due to a fire.

It currently houses our Town Office and Historical Society. The newer addition is home to American Legion Busch-Batcher Post 192, River of Life Church, Girl Scout meetings, bingo games and Victory Club suppers. Somerset Academy was placed on The National Register of Historic Places in1984

The Bandstand overlooks the old Fairgrounds which is an 11 acre lot consisting of the Exhibition Hall, Softball Field, Basketball and Tennis Courts, Ice skating /Skateboard rink, playground utility building and more.

Mount Rest Cemetery is the towns largest cemetery and is run by The Mount Rest Cemetery Association it is located on the intersection of Academy Street and The Back Road and is not far from the Town Office.